Galveston Bay House
  SHORT TERM RENTAL ON THE BAY

History

KEMAH HISTORY

The city was originally founded as Evergreen in 1898 along the Texas and New Orleans Railroad, when John Henry Kipp and James H. Bradford subdivided their lots to establish a township. The area was also called Shell Siding after the oyster shell middens lining the bay, in some places twenty to thirty feet deep. Indian burial grounds were later found in these shell middens. Kipp petitioned for a post office, but was denied as there was already an Evergreen, Texas (now incorporated into Cleveland, Texas). Residents were polled and Kemah, the Karankawa word for "wind in face", "face wind", or "facing the wind", was chosen. Kemah was granted a post office in 1907.


Commercial fishing has long been a significant area industry and a part of the community's identity as demonstrated by the annual Blessing of the Fleet event that continues today. Agriculture was also important to the community's early prosperity.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 From the 1920s to the 1950s Kemah became a significant tourist destination resulting from investment by the Maceo crime syndicate which ran Galveston during this time. The syndicate created a lavish casino district along the boardwalk featuring venues such as the Chili Bowl and the Kemah Den.   During the 1950s the State Attorney General and the Texas Rangers finally shut down the Galveston vice empire. Kemah's casinos were closed and its tourism base declined drastically.

 

 

 

 

 

During the 1950s a major commercial shrimp fishing fleet was established in the town as the Clear Creek Channel was opened. Though Hurricane Carla severely damaged the city in 1961, the city rebuilt and the fishing business revived. During the 1970s, in part as a result of the establishment of the Johnson Space Center on Clear Lake, tourism began to re-emerge as pleasure boats began to fill the lake.

Kemah has significantly revived as a tourist and recreation destination, especially since the new Kemah Boardwalk, owned by Landry's Restaurants, Inc., was developed in the late 1990s.

On the morning of September 13, 2008 a Category 2 hurricane called Ike made landfall in Galveston County, causing substantial damage to infrastructure and houses in the whole area.
SEABROOK HISTORY 
 
The area which comprises Seabrook found its beginnings in recorded history in 1832 when Ritson Morris, a native Virginian, obtained a league of land from the Mexican Government. A portion of that land was purchased by Seabrook W. Sydnor in 1895 and a plat was filed with the Harris County Courthouse the following year. In March of 1903, the Seabrook Company of Houston filed a revised layout of the proposed Seabrook Town site. The new town appealed to local farmers, fishermen and merchants and even a few seasonal residents.

 In 1961, fearing annexation by Houston and La Porte, the local leadership initiated procedures and the City was incorporated. In 1964, a new bridge was built between the cities of Kemah and Seabrook and State Highway 146 was established as a four-lane thoroughfare. Sleepy beginnings of the City have given way to unprecedented growth and an estimated population over 8,000.

The quality of life in Seabrook is enriched by its location. Steeped in the history and traditions of the Texas Gulf Coast and endowed with a mixture of recreational and commercial resources, Seabrook beckons visitors to stay a while or a lifetime. The community boasts a reputation for its fine fresh seafood, popular fish markets and the growth of the area known as Old Seabrook, a local arts and antique colony. Eleven miles of waterfront make it an ideal place for business and leisure activities. The Clear Lake area is the third largest boating center in the United States, with 1,250 boat slips in Seabrook. Also NASA with its associated aerospace support companies and national space museums is only four miles away.

Seabrook incorporates more than 12.5 square miles of property including choice waterfront property. Seabrook is accessed by two state highways (NASA Road One and State Highway 146) and is 7 miles from Interstate 45 and 20 miles from Interstate 10. A 30 minute drive will take you to Hobby Airport.

Seabrook is a mix of old and new. Many residents have lived in Seabrook 10 years or more.

Seabrook offers expansive parks. With ten parks consisting of over 100 acres, two boat ramps, two public pools and a 1000 ft. salt water fishing pier, there is plentiful open space for family activities. For those who love fishing, boating and sailing, few communities can match Seabrook's waterfront.

·         PERSONAL DATA: Born Feb



·         FORMER NASA ASTRONAUT

FIRST OWNER OF THE GALVESTON BAY HOUSE

·         National Aeronautics and Space Administration

Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center
Houston, Texas 77058

 

 

·       Biographical Data

       

·         MARY L. CLEAVE (PH.D., P.E.)
NASA ASTRONAUT ruary 5, 1947, in Southampton, New York.  Her father, Dr. Howard E. Cleave, resides in Williamstown, Massachusetts.  Her mother is deceased.

·         EDUCATION: Graduated from Great Neck North High School, Great Neck, New York, in 1965; received a bachelor of science degree in Biological Sciences from Colorado State University in 1969 and master of science in Microbial Ecology and a doctorate in Civil and Environmental Engineering from Utah State University in 1975 and 1979, respectively.

·         EXPERIENCE: Dr. Cleave held graduate research, research phycologist, and research engineer assignments in the Ecology Center and the Utah Water Research Laboratory at Utah State University from September 1971 to June 1980.  Her work included research on the productivity of the algal component of cold desert soil crusts in the Great Basin Desert south of Snowville, Utah; algal removal with intermittent sand filtration and prediction of minimum river flow necessary to maintain certain game fish; the effects of increased salinity and oil shale leachates on freshwater phytoplankton productivity; development of the Surface Impoundment Assessment document and computer program (FORTRAN) for current and future processing of data from surface impoundments in Utah; and design and implementation of an algal bioassay center and a workshop for bioassay techniques for the Intermountain West.

·         NASA EXPERIENCE: Dr. Cleave was selected as an astronaut in May 1980.  Her technical assignments have included: flight software verification in the Shuttle Avionics Integration Laboratory (SAIL); CAPCOM on five Space Shuttle flights; Malfunctions Procedures Book; Crew Equipment Design.  A veteran of two space flights, Dr. Cleave has logged a total of 10 days, 22 hours,         02 minutes, 24 seconds in space, orbited the earth 172 times and traveled 3.94 million miles.  She was a mission specialist on STS 61-B (November 26 to December 3, 1985) and STS-30 (May 4-8, 1989).  Dr. Cleave left JSC in May 1991 to join NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland.  She worked in the Laboratory for Hydrospheric Processes as the Project Manager for SeaWiFS (Sea-viewing, Wide-Field-of-view-Sensor), an ocean color sensor which is monitoring vegetation globally.  Dr. Cleave next served as Deputy Associate Administrator (Advanced Planning), Office of Earth Science, NASA Headquarters, Washington, D.C.  Dr. Cleave retired from NASA in February 2007.

·         SPACE FLIGHT EXPERIENCE: STS-61B Atlantis (Nov. 26 to Dec. 3, 1985) launched at night from the Kennedy Space Center, Florida, and returned to land on Runway 22 at Edwards Air Force Base, California.  During the mission, the crew deployed the MORELOS-B, AUSSAT II, and SATCOM K-2 communications satellites, conducted 2 six-hour spacewalks to demonstrate space station construction techniques with the EASE/ACCESS experiments, operated the Continuous Flow Electrophoresis (CFES) experiment for McDonnell Douglas and a Getaway Special (GAS) container for Telesat, Canada, conducted several Mexican Payload Specialist Experiments for the Mexican Government, and tested the Orbiter Experiments Digital Autopilot (OEX DAP).  This was the heaviest payload weight carried to orbit by the Space Shuttle to date.  Mission duration was 165 hours, 4 minutes, 49 seconds.

·         STS-30 Atlantis (May 4-8, 1989) was a four day mission during which the crew successfully deployed the Magellan Venus-exploration spacecraft, the first U.S. planetary science mission launched since 1978, and the first planetary probe to be deployed from the Shuttle.  Magellan arrived at Venus in August 1990 and mapped over 95% of the surface of Venus.  Magellan has been one of NASA’s most successful scientific missions providing valuable information about the Venetian atmosphere and magnetic field.  In addition, the crew also worked on secondary payloads involving Indium crystal growth, electrical storm, and earth observation studies.  Mission duration was 96 hours, 57 minutes, 35 seconds.

·         FEBRUARY 2007

Biographical Data

Website Builder